St. Michael's Church in Hammerfest is the northernmost permanently served Catholic Church in the world. It is already the third Catholic Church in Hammerfest, after the first one from 1878, which was replaced by a bigger one shortly after in 1885 that was burnt down in WWII.
As a sign of compensation for the destruction during the war, it was built with donations from Germany and consecrated in 1957. The Swiss architect L. F. Lothenbach offered his services free of charge and his plans were implemented by the Danish architect Bent Packness, who worked in Hammerfest at the time. The wooden crucifix was carved by the German prisoner of war Georg Wimmer in 1945 in Tromsø.